Your Action is needed TODAY
October 25th, Monday, is the deadline for your comments.Central New York Oil and Gas L.L.C., a subsidiary of Inergy L.P., has applied to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for certification to build a pipeline named MARC 1 through Sullivan County. This would connect interstate gas transmission pipelines running east-west across the state though the counties of Lycoming, Clinton, Tioga, Bradford, Susquehanna, and others. (see map at bottom of this email) Permission for this line must be granted by FERC. If granted, pipeline construction that includes the right of eminent domain becomes a reality in the heart of the Pennsylvania’s Endless Mountains. This large pipeline also guarantees “development zones” along its path, and thousands of gas wells with thousands more gathering lines will be constructed to meet up with MARC 1. This project means an end to the Pennsylvania Wilds and Endless Mountains as we know them. Individual property owner’s rights, ecosystems, sustainable tourism revenue and jobs, and the quality of life for those who live in, travel through, and visit this region are at stake. This is the scoping part of the permitting process where FERC determines the scope of the federally mandated environmental study they must conduct. If they decide that they must take into account the larger ramifications of building this pipeline i.e. wells, gathering lines, frack ponds, compressor stations, that would have ramifications through out the Marcellus. The environmental and societal cost of this pipeline would make it hard to justify.
- Contact FERC and express your concern over the environmental impact this pipeline will have on Pennsylvania’s ecosystems. (FERC’s involvement is only in the area of environmental risk assessment and only for this interstate line)
- Forward this message to your friends and family and ask them to do the same
- Click here to visit the FERC website.
- Click on the orange e-comments box
- You will be asked for your name and email and a capcha verification. Submitting that information will generate a message to your inbox providing a link to the comment section.
- Check your inbox. Follow the link provided to you. Type in this docket number in the box. CP10-480-000 then click select in the docket box when details appear.
- Type in your comments in space provided. (Feel free to cut/paste from letter below, don’t forget your name and address.)
- forest fragmentation
- core forest habitat, migratory and reproductive cycles of all plant and animal species
- ecosystem services of forests (carbon sequestration, watersheds, wildlife habitat, etc.)
- plant and animal species of concern
- air impacts of pipelines including fugitive emissions, compressors, and green house gasses
- gas processing facilities and ground-level ozone impacts on health, agriculture, and forests
- impacts on sustainable income from tourism, hunting, fishing, and all outdoor recreational activity
- visual impacts
- community character impacts.